Get a Fresh Start for 2019: Throw These Out!
New year, new you? A great 2019 attitude pairs best with a great 2019 look, and you can’t move forward if you’re still hanging on to these dated doozies!
- Sheer or thin leggings. Those favorite leggings you wear with a tunic, that have been washed over and over and over? They need to go. Leggings don’t get better with love—they thin out and pill, especially in the thighs. Replace them with a quality black faux leather or heavy knit legging.
- Men’s pleated slacks. Did you cringe a bit? For some, the very mention of pleated pants is enough to evoke flashbacks to the worst menswear fashions of the ‘80s and ‘90s. With current trends favoring flat-front cuts, today’s answer to whether you should wear pleats is a resounding NO! If a man has a fuller body type or really favors comfort, he may opt for pleats. Just remember less is more.
- Jewelry you never wear. It’s like spring cleaning come early! It will feel so freeing to get rid of all that jewelry you never wear, which blocks your view of the pieces you could be wearing. If some of the items are near and dear to your heart, but just not your style, pack them in a special box and place it where you keep other memorabilia.
- Old basic black pieces. Part of love is knowing when to let go. Black shows fading more than any other color, so without realizing, that crisp black may have faded to gray. You don’t have to stop wearing black, but you can add in some other, newer tasteful basics. Keep a place in your closet for warm beige, which will be coming on strong this season.
- Men’s cuffed slacks. Flat-front cuts have ruined pleats and cuffs?! The point of a fashionable (versus a functional) cuff is to add visual weight and emphasis at the bottom of trousers to balance the pleats at the top. Today, cuffs make pants a bit more informal, and some might see them as more traditional; for a more contemporary look, omit them.
- Old tennis shoes. If your goal is a fresk look for 2019, it’s time to swap out that scuffed, low-tread and no-cushion-left favorite for a fresh, head-turning pair (or two!). I recommend one pair dedicated for your workouts, which complements most of your exercise-wear, and a second pair that is athleisure and can be worn to spice up other casual ensembles.
- Old makeup. Cosmetics trap bacteria, which means replacing them regularly is necessary to avoid skin irritation, breakouts, eye infections, and styes. Just like refreshing your jewelry drawer, this exercise will feel so freeing! To help you get it right, use this At-A-Glance chart to know when it’s time to say good-bye.
|WHEN TO TOSS
|Powders (including blushes, bronzers, shadows)
|Cream shadows and blushes
|Cream compact foundation
|Lipstick and lip liner
|Liquid or gel eyeliner
What else in your closet do you need to get rid of to look your best this year? Take the stress out of everyday dress by keeping only the items that best flatter your body type, style, and goals—no more worrying about a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear! With a Closet Audit & Wardrobe Consultation, you’ll discover new ensembles in your closet, with complementary pairings you might not have thought to put together. Round out your wardrobe with a custom shopping list that details the items you’re missing! Contact me to work together on a “new you” this year!